If you suffer from restless leg syndrome (RLS) or know someone who does, you’d know how sleep can take a huge hit. RLS is the result of an over-stimulated nervous system. This condition creates an intense urge to move the legs and feet during the night. Getting a night of restful sleep is difficult with RLS. However, a growing number of people have started using a weighted blanket for restless legs. It’s believed that pressure from the blanket acts as a counter stimulant that calms the nervous system.
Not enough research has been conducted so far that reliably shows the effectiveness of weighted blankets for RLS. Yet, there is a growing account of those enjoying its therapeutic benefits. Early studies also reveal lesser leg discomfort in subjects with RLS when external sensory stimulants are used. If this sounds promising and you’re tempted to buy one, we recommend speaking to your doctor to see if it’s right for you.
Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs Reviewed
- Best Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs – Weighted Evolution »
- Best Weighted Blanket Trial – Layla Weighted Blanket »
- Weighted Blanket for Hot Sleepers – Gravity Cooling Blanket »
- Affordable Weighted Blanket – YNM »
- Organic Weighted Blanket – Bearaby Weighted Blanket »
How to Choose a Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs
It’s good to note that a weighted blanket specifically for RLS doesn’t exist today. So far, there hasn’t been one designed to treat RLS. RLS patients who use weighted blankets with success rely on products off the shelf. If you’re looking to purchase one, consider these 4 key factors.
Top 5 Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs
|Brand||Cover Material||Filler Material||Weight Range||Price|
|100% Organic Bamboo Cover||Glass bead filling||12 – 25 lbs|
Layla Weighted Blanket
100% Polyester Mink
|Glass beads||15 – 25 lbs|
Gravity Cooling Blanket
|Micro-Fleece Cover||Glass beads||15 – 35 lbs|
|100% Cotton Cover||Glass bead filling||5 – 30 lbs|
Bearaby Organic Blanket
|100% Organic Cotton||No filling||15 – 25 lbs|
Reviews: Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs
1. Best Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs – Weighted Evolution
Weighted Evolution Bamboo
Weighted Evolution blanket takes the lead as the best weighted blanket for restless legs. It’s filled with glass beads and separated by double-diamond stitching. Made from 100% organic bamboo, it stays cool through the night. As an added touch, its cover is completely washable. Weighted Evolution checks all the right boxes for us.
- 100% organic bamboo cover
- Removable machine washable cover
- 100-night trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Weighted Evolution is a temperature-regulating weighted blanket with sensory dot fleece top, made to fit the top of your mattress without overhanging. It’s filled with micro-glass beads and comes with added recycled polyfill for insulation.
One of the strengths of Weighted Evolution is its diamond-stitched pockets that keep the glass bead filler in place. A removable and machine washable organic bamboo duvet cover is also included. No handwashing or dry cleaning is a huge win in our books!
The Weighted Evolution blanket is soft, cooling, and hypoallergenic. It delivers full-body contouring and deep pressure therapy great for RLS. The cover makes for easy upkeep, eliminating the need for manual washing. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked.
Pros and Cons of the Weighted Evolution Bamboo Blanket:
- Double diamond stitching keeps filling in place and evenly distributes weight. This is an important feature for RLS users.
- Designed to sleep cool. The blanket is thinner than usual and made from breathable bamboo fibers.
- The removable washable cover is super convenient. No hand washing needed here!
- Offers a longer trial period compared to others.
- Some concerns about long-term use of the blanket, particularly the glass beads shifting to other squares after prolonged use.
Get some great value for money and calm your RLS at the same time with the Weighted Evolution blanket – it’s so cozy you’ll forget it’s your therapy blanket!
2. Best Trial – Layla Weighted Blanket
Layla Weighted Blanket
Layla Weighted Blanket delivers a luxurious feel, filled with glass beads and noise-insulating polyfill, divided by hexagonal stitching for even distribution. A mink-like fur cover for sensory therapy and cotton side for a natural feeling, all completely washable.
- Dual-sided: 300 thread count on one side and Minky fabric on the other
- Hexagonal pocket stitching
- 120-night trial
- Completely machine washable
The team behind Layla Weighted Blanket ensured that their product gives you the comfort of cuddling a thousand puppies. The luxurious poly-mink cover and soundless filling calm your RLS while providing an overall soothing feeling. The other side of the blanket is made from 300 TC cotton for those preferring a more natural feel.
Layla offers a generous weighted blanket trial of 120 nights – enough to convince you of the effectiveness of their product. You can choose between three sizes. They all come with a 5-year warranty. The only downside – the fabric can be heat-trapping when used in summer.
Pros and Cons of the Layla Weighted Blanket:
- Like most Layla products, this blanket comes with a generous 120-night trial.
- Toss the entire blanket in the machine when it’s time for a wash.
- Beads are sewn between polyester batting to minimize noise when moving at night.
- An added bonus of having 2 different feels.
- Because of its construction, the blanket may run hot when used in the warmer months.
Layla Weighted Blanket is a therapeutic blanket designed to adhere to all senses, with sensory and pressure therapy. Luxurious feeling, effectiveness, and a great trial period – everything you need.
3. Weighted Blanket for Hot Sleepers – Gravity Cooling Blanket
Gravity Cooling Blanket
The Gravity Blanket is the perfect weighted blanket for hot sleepers, with moisture-wicking duvet cover, premium-grade glass beads filling, and precise gridded stitching. This cooling weighted blanket is low maintenance, with a machine washable cover and dry cleaned inner weighted part.
- Cooling duvet cover
- Machine washable outer cover
- 30-day return policy
If you’re on the lookout for a weighted blanket for hot sleepers look no further. Gravity Blanket is not only breathable and moisture-wicking but also great for reducing stress. It relieves the discomfort of RLS and relaxes the body at the same time.
The duvet is easy to use, fitted with a button and tie, or a zipper fastening system, depending on the size. You can choose from three colors and four weights ranging from 15lb to 35lb. While the price is steeper than the other weighted blankets on the list, the feeling and effect justify it.
Pros and Cons of the Gravity Cooling Blanket :
- An internally conducted sleep study showed that at least 72% of surveyed users reported deeper sleep with the Gravity Blanket.
- The micro-fleece cover looks stylish and is soft to the touch.
- The duvet cover is completely removable and machine washable
- Pricier than other blankets. This may put it out of range for some.
- Temperature-sensitive users may find that the blanket sleeps warm.
Let natural gravitation calm your restlessness with the Gravity Weighted Blanket. Test it out for 30-nights and it will be love at first sleep!
4. Affordable Weighted Blanket – YNM
YNM Weighted Blanket
YNM weighted blanket is a high-quality yet affordable weighted blanket, designed with 7 layers for utmost comfort and airflow. Filled with micro glass beads, it also comes with a cooling cotton outer layer. Take your pick and choose from ten different weights and more than twenty colors.
- Oeko-Tex certified cotton outer layer
- Various styles, sizes, and weight
- Free returns via Amazon (at time of writing)
You don’t have to break the bank for a weighted blanket, especially if you’re just trying it out. The YNM weighted blanket represents good quality at a very competitive price – almost 50% lower than its competitors. The 7-layer structure is designed to keep your body temperature cool while you’re resting, and the glass beads are separated with inner pockets to prevent shifting.
This affordable weighted blanket is hand or machine washable. Just make sure to tumble dry on low. The choice of three duvets options (bamboo, cotton, or Minky) is amazing, but they do come at an additional cost.
Pros and Cons of the YNM Weighted Blanket:
- At almost half the price of most of its competitors, the YNM weighted blanket is highly affordable. This makes it a great entry-level weighted blanket.
- Uses less fiber in between the filling for added airflow.
- A huge selection of styles, fabrics, sizing, and weights.
- Reports of quality concerns from users regarding the blanket’s stitching.
- The duvet cover is sold separately.
Don’t let the price of a therapeutic RLS blanket cause stress you out; get the YNM for a 30-day trial period and put an end to the tossing and turning.
5. Organic Weighted Blanket – Bearaby Weighted Blanket
Bearaby Weighted Blanket
Bearaby Weighted Blanket is made entirely of premium GOTS, OEKO-Tex 100, and fairtrade-certified organic cotton. It’s not only therapeutic for RLS but aesthetically pleasing, sustainable, and easy to upkeep. This organic weighted blanket comes in five colors and three different weight classes.
- GOTS-certified organic cotton
- No filling used.
- Machine washable.
- 30-day trial
Organic weighted blankets can be hard to find because there are limited organic fillings that can reach the right weight. The Bearaby Weighted Blanket has resolved this problem with their Cotton Napper. A chunky cotton braid cleverly replaces traditional weights. This blanket not only works for RLS but looks good as a room decor too. It comes in three weights from 15lb to 25lb and five neutral colors.
The Bearaby is machine washable but requires two circles of tumble drying to dry completely. Yes, the blanket comes at a hefty price, but it’s worth it for the sheer quality of materials used. Remember, you’re also supporting fair trade and environmental protection.
Pros and Cons of the Bearaby Weighted Blanket:
- Heavy knitted braids in place of using a traditional weighted filling.
- Because a traditional filling is not used to weigh the blanket down, there is no risk of materials shifting making this a great option for RLS.
- Braids are not tightly knitted, therefore it allows for great airflow.
- The only material used is breathable organic cotton. This blanket is ideal for those seeking organic or natural materials.
- The blanket comes at a justifiable premium (organic materials) but it’s one of the more expensive blankets in the market.
This is a gorgeous, all-seasons organic blanket great for RLS. It comes with an organic cotton dust bag to take it everywhere with you, a 30-day trial, and a hassle-free return.
Choosing the Right Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs
But don’t go the other way and purchase a size too small that doesn’t sufficiently cover your body. You do move throughout the night, and it’s okay for the blanket to be slightly longer than your height. Deep pressure therapy is achieved when the weight is evenly applied to your legs and body.
If you can’t find a blanket weighing exactly 10% of your body weight, go with the lower limit. For example, if you’re 170 pounds, get a 15-pound blanket instead of a 20-pound one.
Weighted blankets are on the pricier side, so look for those with a long trial period, fair return policy, and warranty. To get the full benefits for RLS, the best weighted blanket must check these boxes.
If you tend to sleep hot, extra care should be taken when choosing a blanket. To ensure a cool and comfortable sleep, opt for covers made of light, cooling, and breathable materials. Tencel (bamboo) and cotton are all great options. Weighted blankets can trap heat otherwise.
Do Weighted Blankets Help With Restless Legs?
RLS is linked to physical arousal, an unpleasant sensation that calms when you move your legs. The discomfort can lessen when the pressure is applied to the legs and feet. This effect is known as deep tissue pressure stimulation.
More studies are required to prove its effectiveness, but people suffering from RLS use weighted blankets with some degree of success. After all, there hasn’t has been much documented negative effect. Speak with your doctor if you have any concerns.
How Do You Wash A Weighted Blanket?
The washing method depends on the material of the weighted blanket and the filler used. You can’t wash weighted blankets with natural fillers like grains, beans, or sand. If the filler is glass beads, steel pellets, or plastic, check with the manufacturer. In most cases, these blankets are dry-cleaned or hand-washed. Hand washing and flat drying is the safest option unless otherwise stated on the instructions.