During this pandemic, the wisest thing we can do for our health is to stay germ-free as best we can. Alcohol wipes, hand sanitizers, and face coverings are products we use daily to protect ourselves. A UV light air purifier may not be as popular. However, it can be more effective at keeping our households germ-free by sanitizing the very air we breathe.
PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1
When air passes through a UV light air purifier, microorganisms are destroyed by exposing them directly to ultraviolet light. Light in the UV-C spectrum is commonly used to kill airborne pathogens. Other light spectrums (such as UV-A or UV-B) may be used but are more hazardous or less effective at getting the job done. For these reasons, we will only be reviewing UV-C air purifiers in this article.
The Best UV Light Air Purifiers
- Best UV Light Air Purifier – TruSens Z-2000 »
- Quietest UV Air Purifier – Airthereal APH260 »
- Best Value – PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1 UV Air Purifier »
- Best UV Air Purifier with Diffuser – HoMedics AP-T30 »
- Most Affordable – GermGuardian AC4825 UV Air Purifier »
How to Choose a UV Light Air Purifier for Your Bedroom
Some of the best UV air purifiers can eliminate germs, mold, and other allergens with a 99.7% success rate. Other UV air purifiers have the added functionality of removing VOCs and odors. With so many features and options, how do we pick the best unit for our home?
Top 5 UV Light Air Purifiers Compared
When it comes to our health, one thing we can all agree on is that no compromises should be made. So to help you narrow down the best UV air purifier for your health and household, we’ll compare each unit side-by-side.
|Brand||Coverage Area||Noise Level||Air Purifying Technology||Certification||Price|
|Covers 375 sq. ft.||Noise rated at 33 – 64 dB||UV, DuPont HEPA Filter, Carbon Filter||CARB-Certified|
Airthereal APH260 UV Air Purifier
|355 sq. ft. covered||Noise rated at 24 – 49 dB||UV, True HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter||CARB-Certified|
PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1 UV Air Purifier
|Covers 190 sq. ft.||Less than 60.2 dB||UV, True HEPA, Activated Carbon, Ionizer||CARB-Certified|
|Covers 195 sq. ft.||Noise emitted at 36 – 54 dB||UV, True HEPA, Activated Carbon, Ionizer||CARB-Certified|
GermGuardian AC4825 UV Air Purifier
|Covers 167 sq. ft.||Noise rated at 40 – 55 dB||UV, HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter||CARB-Certified|
UV Light Air Purifier Reviews
1. Best UV Light Air Purifier – TruSens Z-2000
TruSens Air purifier is a smart device with a HEPA filter, dual airflow, an active LED display, and added SensorPod you can place anywhere around the room. SensorPod gives real-time feedback to TruSense to adapt and achieve high air quality at all times.
- Comes with separate air quality monitor (Sensorpod)
- Dynamic purification on Auto-Mode
- Bi-directional airflow
- 3 stage purification: UV-C, DuPont HEPA & Carbon Filter
- 4 fan settings
If you want clean air and are tech-savvy, TruSens air purifier will hit all the points. It comes with three purification levels, UV-C light, carbon filter, and DuPont HEPA filter. Carbon filters have three months of active usage before replacement, while HEPA has 12 months.
The LED display shows the SensorPod reading, features a night mode with lights out, a timer, and auto mode. TruSens air purifier is relatively silent; with the five fan speeds from whisper to turbo, the sound ranges from 33dB to 64dB. The UV bulb has a life span of one to three years, which justifies the steep price to some degree.
Pros and Cons of the TruSens Z-2000:
- ‘Smart’ UV Air Filter. On Auto-Mode, the fan speed adapts to surrounding air quality levels.
- Remote air monitoring functionality gives us the assurance that the air in the entire room is purified, not just the corner where the unit sits.
- Gives you real-time quality readings measuring small (PM2.5) and larger (PM10) particulates.
- Bi-directional airflow allows for better clean air circulation around the room.
- To clean its pre-filter or replace components, you’d need to lay the unit on its side.
- It’s on the pricier side.
Choose a smart air purifier that can fit any room. With three sizes to choose from and three levels of filtration, you’ll never breathe cleaner air!
2. Quietest UV Air Purifier – Airthereal APH260
Airthereal air purifier is CARB certified with a high CADR rating and three filtration levels. The smart control automatically measures the air quality and adjusts the mode to tackle any impurities. Featuring sleep mode, so you can set it and forget it.
- Long-lasting UV-C bulb up to 5 years
- 3 stage purification: UV-C, True HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter
- Dynamic purification with Smart Auto Mode
- Comes with sleep mode and 12-hour timer
- 3 fan speeds
Airthereal air purifier has a sleek design and compact size, a user-friendly interface, and a hassle-free cleaning method. Besides UV-C, there are three other filters to ensure impeccable air quality in your home: pre-filter, HEPA, and activated carbon. The high CADR rating ensures the unit will clean the air in your room up to three times per hour.
Airthereal cares about your rest; with sleep mode, you can set it to run up to 12 hours at a sound no louder than 24dB. With a four year warranty and a UV bulb that can run for five years, you get excellent value for your money.
Pros and Cons of the Airthereal APH260:
- Its UV-C light bulb doesn’t need to be replaced according to Airthereal. It’s rated up to 5 years.
- Really quiet on sleep mode so you won’t get woken up during the night.
- Smart Auto Mode automatically changes purification settings to adapt to environmental air quality.
- Care and maintenance can be done with the unit upright so you won’t have to worry about scuffing the unit.
- Non-US based users have complained about getting reasonably priced replacement parts.
With Airthereal, you won’t search for another air purifier in the foreseeable future- it offers excellent features at a moderate price for five guaranteed years!
3. Best Value – PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1 UV Air Purifier
PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1
PureZone Elite will elevate the air quality in your home with four filtration levels, smart color-coded detection technology, and a True HEPA filter. The contemporary design makes it blend in seamlessly with your room decor.
- Smart air quality monitor
- 4 stage purification: UV-C, True HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter, Ionizer
- 8-hour timer
- 3 fan speeds
PureZone Elite is a 4-in-1 UV air purifier that features four filtration stages UV-C light, active carbon, a True HEPA filter, and an ionizing filter for maximum air purification. The True HEPA filter gives your respiratory problems a break since it captures up to 99.97% of allergy-causing particles as little as 0.3 microns.
This unit is ideal for those struggling with seasonal allergies and the built-in handle makes it easy to transfer anywhere. True HEPA and carbon filters have a run time of 6 months, while the UV bulb has over a year life span. The downside- this air purifier is on the louder side, emitting sound up to 60.2dB.
Pros and Cons of the PureZone™ Elite 4-in-1 UV Air Purifier:
- Not 3, but 4 types of air purification at a reasonable price point.
- Comes with smart monitoring technology that changes purification settings according to environmental air quality.
- CARB and ETL certified which is reassuring given concerns about the harmful effects of ozone.
- Not exactly the quietest unit so it may not be great for light sleepers.
Don’t dread the spring; rely on PureZone Elite to provide you with purified air even with the wildfire smoke and pollen raging outside.
4. Best UV Air Purifier with Diffuser – HoMedics AP-T30
HoMedics AP-T30 is a UV air purifier with an essential oil diffuser that helps you relax with your favorite aromas and purified air at the same time. Featuring a space-saving design, filters that tackle bacteria and odors, and whisper-quiet work mode.
- 4 stage purification: UV-C, True HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter, Ionizer
- Essential oil diffuser
- Timer up to 12 hours
- 3 fan-speed settings
HoMedics offers you the benefit of two appliances in one – activated carbon filter that eliminates unwanted odors and an essential oil diffuser with three oil pads that will deliver your favorite spa-like aroma. The True HEPA filter helps you stay away from allergies while the ionizer effectively kills viruses.
You can choose among three speed settings, with low being the quietest and automatic shut-off at 2,4,8 or 12 hours. It’s most fitting for medium-sized rooms, and it can achieve up to 4.8 times air cleanings per hour. The UV bulb has 10,000 hours lifespan while the unit has a 3-year warranty.
Pros and Cons of the HoMedics AP-T30:
- The Carbon, HEPA, and pre-filter come combined. Really handy when it comes to replacement time.
- The diffuser is great for those who enjoy aromatherapy.
- Turn night-light on or off when you sleep.
- Complaints from customers about obtaining replacement parts.
- Not the quietest unit.
Clean air is great but clean air paired with aromatherapy is better. HoMedics has the best UV air purifier with an essential oil diffuser on the market.
5. Most Affordable – GermGuardian AC4825 UV Air Purifier
GermGuardian is the most affordable UV air purifier with three levels of filtration. It’s lightweight and suitable for small rooms or offices. Tackles mold, viruses, bacteria, pet dander and reduces VOCs. Only one filter change is required making it even more cost-effective.
- Stages of air purification: UV-C, True HEPA, Activated Carbon Filter
- 3 fan speeds
- Filter change indicator light
Great UV air purifiers don’t have to break the bank. The GermGurardian is one of the most affordable UV air purifiers that’s simple to use with three speed levels and optional UV-C light. It’s perfect for 167 square feet, so you’ll need a separate unit for each room of your home.
It’s pretty lightweight, so you can effortlessly move it around the house, and it’s low maintenance, which adds to the budget-friendly characteristic.
With a price tag almost half lower than other purifiers, you need to have realistic expectations. Sadly there’s more than one GermGuardian air purifier review that complains about a burning smell after prolonged use.
Pros and Cons of the GermGuardian AC4825:
- One of the most affordable air purifiers combining other multiple air washing technologies.
- 2 – 3 lbs lighter than other units reviewed. Easy to lug around to other rooms.
- Settings include ‘sleep-mode’ for quiet operation at night.
- Several complaints about it’s circuit board or wiring burning. Yikes…
If the price and features are tempting you to purchase this UV air purifier, please have in mind some GermGuardian reviewers are complaining about the circuit board burning.
Choosing a UV Light Air Purifier for Your Bedroom
Meets Safety Standards
California is one of the only US state that has strict regulations on air purifier’s ozone emissions. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) thoroughly tests air purifiers. It awards a certificate to those with less than 0.050 parts per million ozone emissions so they can enter the market.
Figure Out Your Coverage Area
A high CADR rating means higher power. It’s measured in cubic feet per minute, and it’s confirmed the effectiveness in removing the tiniest particles in the air like smoke, dust, and pollen. For a 250 square feet room, you need a UV air purifier with a CADR of 250 cubic feet per minute. Anything below is an underperforming purifier and won’t give you the desired results.
Pick the Air Purification You Need
Activated carbon filters are an absorbent type of filter; they capture odors, smoke, chemical fumes, and gases. Ionic filters are soundless filters that send a stream of negative ions to attack positive airborne particles. As a result, they become too heavy and fall to the floor. Ionic filters sterilize bacteria, viruses, smoke, and toxic fumes.
Choose a Quiet Unit
Basically, 30dB is the sound you (don’t) hear in a library, while 60dB is the sound in any commercial area or conversation at three feet distance. The ideal bedroom unit should not be louder than 40dB. If you’re particularly concerned about ambient noise levels while sleeping, you can always try using a pair of sleep headphones. Living rooms and offices are predominantly noisier, so they can manage with louder UV air purifiers up to 60dB.
Is UV-C safe in an air purifier?
The only downsides of a UV-C air purifier are the emission of ozone and UV light penetration. Extended exposure to ozone can be harmful to humans, animals, and plants. Reputable brands develop their units with low ozone emissions in mind and are CARB-certified, making them trustworthy for prolonged use. UV air purifiers are confined with dark metal or plastic, to avoid UV light penetration. Looking directly at the UV light source is harmful and there’s a risk of radiation.
Does UV light kill mold?
UV light kills mold in the same way sunlight destroys mold. You’ll never see mold growing on a surface continuously exposed to sunlight. UV light penetrates the DNA of the mold, rearranging the molecules that result in cell death and mold elimination. For best effect, you have to place the unit in areas that have mold growth potential. UV light has to be able to reach direct contact with the mold to kill it.